Essential Oils help for Hair Growth
If you’re looking for a home remedy to encourage stronger, thicker hair growth, try these essential oils. There’s no independent scientific research behind the claims made for them but many people say they work, and others say they are miracle cures, so unless you’re allergic to any of the oils why not give it a go?
The oils will condition your hair and calm and nourish your scalp which is the foundation for lovely, thick tresses. While oils can work on the outside, make sure your diet is sufficient to help your body with vitamins and to balance hormones because these can be a factor in hair loss.
The following essential oils are widely recommended to aid hair growth:
- Rosemary – This is the most highly recommended oil used to wake up your follicles, preventing hair loss and increasing growth. It stimulates circulation and increases blood flow to the follicles providing nourishment and may help you keep your natural hair colour. Mix a few drops with extra virgin olive oil and rub into your scalp.
- Horsetail – Horsetail contains silica which helps the growth of stronger hair strands and the oil cures dandruff and split ends. Add a few drops to 1-2 tablespoons of coconut or extra virgin olive oil and massage into your hair and scalp.
- Coconut – Coconut oil’s soothing, highly moisturising properties are also antifungal and antibacterial. The lauric fatty acid prevents splitting. Rub into the hair for shininess and conditioning. It also helps to protect against damage from heat and the weather, dandruff and lice.
- Castor – This oil is an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agent that will clear the pores and improves circulation in the scalp, aiding hair growth. The omega-6, omega-9 fatty and ricinoleic acids in the oil moisturise your hair and scalp to help fight dandruff.
- Lavender – This is a relaxing aromatherapy oil that aids hair growth if stress is causing you to lose it. It’s another stimulant and it’s antibacterial so it can ease irritation, and help to rid your scalp of dryness, itchiness and dandruff.
- Peppermint – While used mainly for the digestion, this oil is antibacterial and when rubbed into the scalp it makes it tingle and helps boost circulation. Add three drops to a mild shampoo to rejuvenate your scalp.
- Chamomile – It’s not just a tea, the oil of chamomile conditions and calms your scalp, and is an antidote for dry hair, dandruff, and lice. Add a few drops to some extra virgin olive oil and rub into the hair and scalp.
- Geranium – Strengthens hair shafts and repairs split ends and damaged hair due to heat styling and weather. This oil nourishes your hair and adds an extra glow.
- Basil – This potent oil stimulates the scalp and aids in blood circulation which encourages the growth of thick, lustrous hair. Basil is a medicinal herb and the oil cures irritating scalp problems such as fungal infections and dandruff that disturbs growth and can cause thinning of the hair.